Call (712) 324-4026 if you have any questions about any of our policies.
Uncovered and Unsecured Loads Policy
All loads coming in to the Northwest Iowa Area Solid Waste Agency must be covered and secured in a manner that prevents littering on public roadways. Any loads uncovered and unsecured or not totally enclosed will be charged an extra $20.00 a load. If customers continually violate the secured load rule other actions will be taken, and could include the loss of Northwest Iowa Area Solid Waste Agency services.
- An appropriate cover is not limited to a tarp but may be plywood, carpet, or some other material, which entirely covers the load and is securely tied down.
- Tarps that are shredded or are no longer able to adequately cover load will be considered non-compliant.
- Tarps that are tied so loosly as to allow material to fall or blow out will be considered non-compliant.
- Trailers without sides and Hay racks will be considered non-compliant.
- All loads to the landfill must be covered and secured from the point of origin.
- All trucks, pickups, trailers and wagons must also have a tailgate and it must be closed completely.
- All trailers and wagons must be in good condition with no holes and have solid floors and sides with completely closed endgate.
- All livestock trailers must be covered and secured in a manner that prevents litter escaping the slat holes on the side and back of the trailer.
- Loads must be covered even if waste is in bags or containers.
- Exceptions– if not mixed with other types of waste or recyclables, appliances and tires do not need to be tarped. However they must be secured in such a manner that they will not fall or blow from delivery vehicle.
- Secured Load Policy also applies to recyclable materials.
Inclement Weather Closure Policy
Weather conditions occasionally create situations that are dangerous to staff and customers or create significant challenges in maintaining compliance with permit requirements of the Northwest IA Area Solid Waste Agency (Landfill). At these times, it may be appropriate for the Landfill to close to the public. The decision to close will be made solely by Landfill management.
In the event that the Landfill will be closed, the management will give as much advance notice as reasonable given weather conditions.
Inclement weather conditions that may lead to temporary closure to the public include, but are not limited to:
• Winds gusting in excess of 40 miles per/hour
• Sustained winds in excess of 35 miles per/hour
• The National Weather Service issues a high wind warning for this area
• Flooding on or near the facility
• Snow or ice that limit visibility and /or vehicle mobility
• Those situations identified as dangerous for travel by the Iowa Department of Transportation or the National Weather Service
If the Landfill is to be closed due to inclement weather conditions, then major customers and media outlets will be notified.
This policy was approved by the NWIASWA Board of Directors on June 8, 2022.