The Northwest Iowa Area Solid Waste Agency was formed in 1972 with the intent of providing cost effective and environmentally sound solid waste management options to the citizens of Sioux, O’Brien, Osceola, Clay and Lyon Counties.
The goals of the Agency have not changed since 1972, but have been refined and added to:
1. To operate cost effective and environmentally sound facilities.
2. To comply with Federal and State solid waste management regulations for operating agency facilities, including compliance with waste management hierarchy.
- source reduction
- incineration with energy recovery
- incineration for volume reduction
3. To educate the users of the Agency facility about proper waste management.